At Hatfield Woodhouse Primary School we believe PE & Sport plays an important role in making our vision statement a reality for every pupil, with the potential to change young people’s lives for the better. Through PE & Sport we believe our children learn to develop the important qualities of discipline, resilience, communication, team work, and ambition, leading to improved concentration, attitude, and academic achievement.
We welcomed the Government’s announcement in June 2017 to increase funding to improve provision of physical education and sport in primary schools. We are committed to using this resource in developing high quality PE lessons, alongside greater opportunities for sporting competitions and clubs for all our young people.
After the huge success of the last academic year, we are delighted to be working with Xcite Sports & Fitness again this coming year to support us in delivering our unique P.E. and Sport programme. The programme is made up of a number of broad, varied elements which combine to provide enriching experiences and opportunities for our pupils:
- P.E. specialists working with teachers and support staff – during curriculum lessons, specialists in Physical Education from Xcite Sports & Fitness will work alongside our staff to provide them with advice, new ideas and support to ensure high quality teaching in all P.E. lessons.
- Weekly extracurricular clubs – breakfast, lunchtime and after school clubs will be offered to all KS1 and KS2 children at times throughout the year providing further opportunities for our pupils to participate in sport. Through the school council survey, each pupil will have the chance to give their opinion on what sports and activities they would like to see offered in these clubs.
- Competitions with other local schools – Throughout the year we will be entering competitions against other local schools in both the Sainsburys School Games and Xcite inter-school competitions. There will be events on offer to all year groups in KS2, and KS1 will be entered in to ‘friendly-festivals’.
- Competitions within school – each term our pupils will compete both alongside and against each other in school. Children will be allocated in to teams and take part in the competition during their respective lessons. The children thoroughly enjoyed this last year and it encourages the feelings of community and collaboration within school.
- Links with local sports clubs – pupils will be invited to attend sessions (usually free of charge!) at some of the fantastic sports clubs we have in the area. Here they will receive specialist coaching from the clubs themselves, get to experience the superb facilities they have and if they really enjoy the session, follow up that interest by becoming a member.
- Sports Leadership training for pupils – Older KS2 pupils will be given the chance to train up as Playground Leaders, organising sessions and activities for other groups of children during playtimes and lunchtimes.
- Opportunities to try new, unique sports – through our curriculum and clubs, pupils will experience sports such as ‘New Age Kurling’ and ‘Rock-it-ball’, allowing them to develop new talents and find the activity which is best suited to them.
- Additional coaching and support for Gifted and Talented performers – those pupils showing great potential in P.E. lessons and extracurricular clubs will be offered extra sessions and opportunities to further develop their talents.
Please keep looking out for upcoming events and encourage your child to participate as much as possible. We are looking forward to a healthy and active year here at Hatfield Woodhouse Primary School!
Yours In Sport,
James O’Neill (Director Xcite Sports & Fitness)
You can read how we utilise the Sports Premium grant on our Statutory Information page here.